Monday, August 9, 2010

Expansion

Coming off a week of lockin intercession, I’ve been stuck on the word “expansion” lately, as well as the phrase, “expand your world” the past week, primarily as a result from lockin intercession.

In my response, I've been drilling down on a couple questions:

Question #1) How does the Bible emphasize “expand”, and how should believers interpret and apply the term?

Psalms 119:32

- “I run in the path of your commands for you have set my heart free.” (NIV)

- “I will pursue your commands, for you expand my understanding.” (NLT)

- “I will run the course of your commandments, for you shall enlarge my heart.” (NKJV)

Chasing God’s heart (Note the pro-activeness here) and yielding to His authority produces true freedom, which is equal to a divine broadening of our understanding/thinking. By submitting to His boundaries, fixed in love, yet abounding in purpose, our hearts can encounter holy development. A stagnant heart suggests either an embracing of obduracy or a false contentment in merely walking the course.

I Chronicles 4:10

- “Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm…’” (NIV)

- “He was the one who prayed to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that you would bless me and expand my territory! Please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all trouble and pain…’” (NLT)

- “And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge      my territory, that your hand will be with me, and that you will keep me from evil…’”(NKJV)

Jabez’s honorable stature bubbled from his desire to be blessed by God. To request honoring honors God, as long as motives are purely fastened to Jesus. Beseeching on behalf of territorial expansion, Jabez never lost sight of what was infinitely greater: being with God. A fearless submission ended up granted since it proved selfless as well.

Question #2) What is meant by territory?

Territory in the Bible often refers to land, nations, physical measures of influence, etc. We see this in numerous occasions, including Job 12:23, Exodus 34:24, and Deuteronomy 12:20. But territory refers to internal points as well. In 2 Samuel 22, David relates territory as a spiritual pathway (v. 37). The entire song paints territory as a matter of heart, soul, mind, and the utmost spiritual reality (praising the Lord for who He is). In the Psalms, David directly mentions “paths” twenty times (NIV), while stressing the importance of following God’s will. If we tie the loose ends on these Scriptures, we find that if we are not on the right path, by God’s grace, our territory cannot be expanded. We can’t act like modern Jabez’s if we don’t lock in a Psalms 119 attitude.

No comments: