Thursday, September 11, 2014

Looking Back on 9/11

I remember as if it were yesterday…

…a perfectly autumn morning brimming with tranquility…rocked by unprecedented terror.

The hope of just another day…suddenly a distant afterthought as news of unfolding horror began trickling in…

No question, the events of 9/11 still haunt us.


I know for me, whenever I hear 9/11, it’s hard not to think back on the events of that fateful day.  


After all, it’s the most devastating and defining tragedy in our nation's history.

In fact, I'm sure many of us can remember exactly where we were when we first found out what was happening in New York and at the Pentagon...frozen in shock and confusion. 

Yet, despite the pure insanity of that day, not every memory I have of 9/11 is a negative one.

Looking back thirteen years later...perhaps the most vivid memory I have of the day was sitting around the dinner table with my family...talking, crying, processing, and warring through the emotion and pain...together.

We didn't hold back. We just let it all out...and were there for each other.

Though many years have passed, it's humbling to remember that mental snapshot, where family came together with unified perspective...to ask the heavy-hitting questions...to lean on each other for understanding...all the while becoming closer in the process. In a way, it's that type of unity and convergence that serves as our memorial, redeeming the heartbreak and inspiring hope to fill in where sadness once dwelled.

My
hopeas we continue to remember that infamous day...as we continue to never forget, never surrender, always remember...is that we will walk in perpetual gratitude...together, that we will talk in radical truth...together and that we will celebrate the freedom that is ours by honoring each other above ourselves...just as the heroes of the day reminded us to...

...together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Psalm 25:2-3 (NIV)

"In you I trust, O my God. Do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me. No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame, but they will be put to shame who are treacherous without excuse." 

Psalm 119:114 (NIV)

"You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word."

Psalm 147:3 (NIV)

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."

Lamentations 3:20-23 (NIV)

"I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." 


Photo creds: http://static.cycloneshockey.com


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.

No comments: