What Christians Should be Saying to Gays These Days (Part 1)

Like many, there's much on my mind in light of Friday's Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage.

First off, I don't support the decision, as I strongly believe God instituted the covenant of heterosexual marriage for our highest good (not to mention what God creates and establishes is infallible*).

Yet while it's difficult to watch our country celebrate an assumed idea of freedom (i.e. culturally defined) as opposed to an absolute reality of freedom (God defined), I’m not discouraged.

Why? Because ultimately…God is in control**.

I mean…if hell is God’s way of showing respect for human freedom, why would the issue of homosexuality be any different?

Granted, I know the topic is a hot one...and we all love to be right…to be the victim…to be the hero; I’m not writing this to start a war.

However, I do want to make a few things clear I feel would benefit everyone:

1) Just because I don’t support gay marriage, doesn’t mean I hate gays.
2) Just because I don’t hate gays, doesn’t mean I support gay marriage.
3) How we react to our belief, even in the unseen closet space of our heart, is everything.

I know in the heat of our passion, it can be easy to fall into the debate’s crazy cycle. But for me, I’d rather focus on speaking what few seem to be saying…and that is, quite simply, the truth…in love.

As John Piper says, “We speak the truth in love into this confusion, saying, simultaneously, “That’s wrong” and “I love you.” We’re not the left; we say, this is wrong. And we’re not the right; we say, you’re loved. We speak good news, with those sweetest, deepest, most glorious words of the cross — the same words that God spoke us — “You’re wrong, and you’re loved.”

So regardless of where we stand on the issue, my hope is that we’ll all choose to love and pray for one another, especially since:

1) All have fallen short of the glory of God (Thus, it makes no sense to take offense for anything).
2) If we truly desire God’s original design (i.e. His final decision) and intent for marriage to be known, then we must be willing to speak life in the form of “You are loved" to everyone!

Only then can we begin to know what true freedom is all about.

Footnotes

*And if God created something that man had the right to change, then God wouldn't be God and everything would cease to exist.

**Speaking more from a marco sense here; clearly, God can give man over to “dishonorable passions”, as it says in Romans 1:26, in which...it's not God who is in control but rather those corrupt passions (Thank you for the added commentary, Aaron Weaver)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.

Comments