Friday, October 21, 2016

3 Things On My Mind Right Now

Not goin' to lie: life’s been pretty full the past couple months. From ‘behind the scenes’ His Girl Fryday work and family travel to ‘end of the year’ LEGACYouth prep and childproofing the house, needless to say, our cup runneth over.

Yet, as summer green has slowly faded into a potpourri of burgundies and burnt oranges, so has my mind subdued into a more placid place, at least, enough for me to latch onto some fresh musings. Call it October nostalgia value; call it renewed perspective; call it whatever you want. I just figured it wouldn’t hurt to share a few life lessons I’ve been reminded of in recent weeks.

Let’s jump in, shall we?

1. Often times, our plan ‘C’ is God’s plan ‘A’.

How many of you have ever wanted what God wanted for you, but imagined a completely different scenario unfolding? I imagine most, if not all, can relate; however, for me, whenever I find myself on a separate page apart from God, I also find somewhere along the line I assumed my way was His way.

Ever wonder why this is so easy to do?

Well, I have a theory: While most of us are content in agreeing with the truth, we’re far less content in actually trusting it. It’s like we have no problem praying what we concur with (i.e. blessing, covering, breakthrough, etc.), yet when it comes to praying the most important word (i.e. ‘amen’ – may it be so), we flat-out forget what it means.

How then must we respond?

For starters, if we’re serious about being tethered to God’s will, then we must understand God’s plan is always plan ‘A’ even if it equates to our plan 'C'. After all, when we speak ‘amen’ (may it be so), we're essentially saying: Lord, whatever you have for me Lord, whatever inconvenience my life may incur as a result of yielding to your lead, whatever the cost, whatever it takes, let your will be done, not mine. So in a sense, one could say 'amen' and 'surrender' are virtually synonymous. 

Still, for some, the issue isn’t so much living the ‘amen’ as much as it is being superficially content in knowing the outline of the plan God has in store. Yes, autofilling the boundaries we've been blessed with can seem like second nature, but when we consider God sent His Spirit so we could abide in Him as we color in the lines, we find it makes no sense to accept our calling with the caveat of only asking for directions when push comes to shove.

'Cause truth is


Bottom line: If there’s anything in this life worth filling in, it’s our trust in God. So why not take inventory of your trust gauge this fall and ask God to reveal any areas of incompleteness so He can complete them within you?

2.   God is always in control.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who can’t wait until this year’s presidency electional is a thing of the past. Goodness gracious. Yet, as much as we may cringe when we hear Trump and/or Clinton mentioned in the same sentence, it’s important to consider 1 Timothy 2:1-4. Here, Paul opens his teaching by emphasizing the value in praying for those in authority to make wise decisions. And I’d say for the most part, the church is decent in remembering our governing bodies in how we disciple, how we teach, and how we pray as a body. But for those viewing this election as a national decision between two evils, I submit somewhere amidst the chaos lies an ideal outcome which would allow believers more freedom to “lead peaceful lives…in all godliness and holiness” and reach the lost in greater measure.

So if you’re like me and aren’t a fan of the pre-election process, at least, be faithful to pray for the electoral process so what Paul prays may come to pass.

Bottom line: At the end of the day, we can  grade our candidates on what they advocate all we want, yet if our hope is anchored to anyone/anything apart from God, the same God who has and will make a way no matter who’s elected, well then…it ain’t hope.

I’ll just let the mic drop there…

3. Honesty is the Best Policy…Especially in Marriage

I don’t want to get too deep in my testimony, but looking back, it makes sense why Satan tried so hard to keep me from the family I have now. I mean you talk about things that the devil must hate. A healthy marriage would have to be close to the top of the list, right?

Well, for all you soon-to-be married folk, let me just say a happy marriage, as spectacular as it is, takes work. I mean…I’d be lyin’ if I said being under the same roof was fun and dandy all the time. Yet, in spite of all my warts (and to a [much] lesser extent…those of my wife), if there’s one thing we do well, it’s honest communication.

We don’t sweep grudges under the rug. We don’t keep struggles hidden from view. If anything, we remember our love for each other, apply some humility, and find a way for the truth to be known. Now, is the truth always spoken in love? Not always. Sometimes we dish out unseasoned one-liners in the heat of the moment; other times we hesitate in addressing issues that require immediate attention.  

But at the end of the day, even when we lack the words, the evidence of ‘I love you. I wouldn’t trade you or this life for anyone/anything else’ is still there…

 …which brings me to this question...

How do you know honesty is reigning in your…



Well, there are many indicators (more on this in a future post), but for now, I’d say if you’re living a life sensitive to the Holy Spirit, chances are you'll be sensitive to the moments you're speaking the truth not in love.

Bottom line: When honesty is the best policy in your marriage, love not only has an insurance plan, but an escape route to the surface when times get tough.

Photo creds: sufficientscruples.com
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.

No comments: