Parable of a Parody - "Some Nights"

How often are we overcome by the world’s negativity and its effect on us? How often are we overwhelmed by depravity and despair fogging up our understanding of who we are, what we’re supposed to do and why it all matters? Why is it we’re afraid of being known, but also afraid of being overlooked (“I could use some friends for a change, some nights I’m afraid of you’ll forget me again”)? Why is it we split our spiritual drive in half by occasionally pursuing the right thing the right way and pursuing the right thing the wrong way other times. Should we be surprised to end up dazed and confused, frozen by fear? What will it take for us to realize how turning the light on, even in weakness, is all it takes for God to do something powerful within us. The question then becomes: are we putting ourselves in position to do just that? Are we placing ourselves in situations to look up and reach out when the quicksands of life seek to pull us under?

We can become blindly satisfied (“I was never one to believe the hype, save that for the black and white”) in being unsatisfied, passively accepting life as a turbulent roller coaster. We enjoy the highs when they come, yet even in the midst of blessing and favor, we anticipate the next series of lows to hit us like a ton of bricks. Upon their arrival, we tread through them with face to the ground instead of face to the wind. We perpetuate what we’re called to break whenever we play our hand in the game of hopelessness. Yet, in order to punch through the pain and pressure, we have to take our mind off of the difficulty and re-center on what holds the key: our relationship and identity in Christ.

Bottom line: It’s easier to forget what we stand for (“Some nights I wake up chasing in my bad luck; some nights I call it a draw.”) But when confusion comes, the best way to jumpstart your faith is to meditate on who we stand for.

"Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God." ~ Romans 5:2 (ESV)

"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." ~ Galatians 5:1 (ESV)

As Christians, we should be more known for what we stand for, than what we stand against. As followers of Christ, we often express our exasperations about the pride-laden issues inundating our culture, politics, education and even the church.

While we should be more coherent when voicing the reasons why we stand on the Word of God and why we stand against relative, self-centered standards pertaining to life, freedom, reason and justice, when pondered on, they actually stem from the very things we advocate in the name of Jesus! Though some of the verses that I mention below relate to spiritual conditions and disciplines, they should without a doubt transform how we see, treat, minister to and pray for the world around us.


When we do this, we’ll discover how the heart of God is everything. Only in Him, can we replace "*sitting on the premises" with "standing on the promises." The world needs to hear the truth. But we're not going to reach the world by opening our church doors for a few hours a week and dishing our sermonettes. Ask yourself: what truly changes people?

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for conscience people to remain silent." –T. Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson, an unsaved man, had more sense than the average Christian does. Jefferson knew the road which leads to tyranny...silent citizens. If America's Christians don't speak out, then who will?

*Theology book by James W. Moore

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun - "Some Night" lyrics

Some nights, I stay up cashing in my bad luck.
Some nights, I call it a draw.
Some nights, I wish that my lips could build a castle
Some nights, I wish they'd just fall off

But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure what I stand for oh
What do I stand for? What do I stand for?
Most nights, I don't know anymore... oh woah, oh woah, oh woah oh oh oh woah, oh woah, oh woah oh oh

This is it, boys, this is war, what are we waiting for?
Why don't we break the rules already?
I was never one to believe the hype - save that for the black and white
I try twice as hard and I'm half as liked, but here they come again to jack
My style

And that's alright; I found a martyr in my bed tonight
She stops my bones from wondering just who I am, who I am, who I am
Oh, who am I? Oh, who am I? mmm... mmm...

Well, Some nights, I wish that this all would end
Cause I could use some friends for a change
And some nights, I'm scared you'll forget me again
Some nights, I always win, I always win...
But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I still not sure what I stand for
What do I stand for? What do I stand for?
Most nights, I don't know... (come on)

So this is it? I sold my soul for this?
Washed my hands of that for this?
I miss my mom and dad for this?

No. When I see stars, when I see, when I see stars that's all they are
When I hear songs, they sound like this one, so come on
Oh, come on. Oh, come on, oh come on!

Well, This is it, guys, that is all - five minutes in and I'm bored again
Ten years of this, I'm not sure if anybody understands
This one is not for the folks back home; Sorry to leave, mom, I had to go
Who wants to die alone all dried up in the desert sun?
My heart is breaking for my sister and the con that she called "love"
Man when I look into my nephew's eyes...
Man, you wouldn't believe the most amazing things that can come from...
Some terrible nights... ahhh... oh woah, oh woah, oh woah oh oh
Oh woah, oh woah, oh woah oh oh

The other night, you wouldn't believe the dream I just had about you and me
I called you up, but we'd both agree
It's for the best you didn't listen
It's for the best we get our distance... oh...
It's for the best you didn't listen
It's for the best we get our distance... oh...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.

Comments

Popular Posts