Flash Weather: The #Snowdome Winter

As an amateur "meteorologist", I take pride in being a diehard winter weather enthusiast. After all, it's, by far, the most erratic season, especially for sections of the midsouth. One week could be marked by unseasonably mild air and severe weather episodes, while the next features a freak icestorm or blizzard with record-breaking cold. But for a winter fan who enjoys his fair share of hometown snow, this winter has been one epic disappointment. So in my quest to put words to frustrations, I figured I would look back and briefly analyze a winter desperately needing to be put out of its misery. 
 
Granted, for hundreds of millions, winter 2013-14 will go down as a memorable, overachieving, blockbuster season. But for me, I can honestly say: I've never been so excited for spring this early in my life
 
For most, one would think such a statement would be indicative of a person fed up from the wintry elements. But not in this case. Truth be told: I've never seen such an incredible waste of arctic air, which mind you, proved remarkably consistency over an entire winter for much of the eastern conus. Thus, the brunt of frustration will forever lie in the vast volume of busted potential (lack of snow despite bountiful arctic air) amidst the greatest #winterfail in Nashville's recorded history. Simply put, storm track was not our friend this winter. And perhaps I jinxed this three weeks ago when I posted the following Facebook status (see image left) (http://www.newschannel5.com/story/24721079/nashvilles-snow-dome-becomes-internet-sensation).
 
Mathematically, when one matches up mean temperatures to observed snowfall over a three-month span, it can be quickly determined how Nashville severely underachieved on snowfall this year (only 1.4" observed, nearly 5" below average despite December-February mean temperatures 3-4 degrees below average), while locations all around Nashville cashed in with much higher amounts (ex: Lee University, my alma mater, seeing 8-9" last Wednesday). Although my own location brought in twice as much snow (2.7") compared to the BNA official observation station, the 2013-14 winter, in my opinion, will be remembered for what it could have been, rather than what it was. 
 
However, on the snowchasing front, the 2013-14 winter weather season will go down as one of the most successful on record. This year's log featured two separate snowchases to rural Louisville (December 6 & January 22) combining for 9" of snow, and three other snowchases (Indianapolis on February 8; Ocoee, Tennessee on February 12; Clarksville, Tennessee on March 3), combining for almost 1.5' of snow/sleet. Thus, for the first time in my snowchasing career, I connected with each snowchase (100% accuracy), with each snowchase bringing in at least 3" of snow. However, this didn't fully ease the pain of the Nashville #snowdome (see below).

So without further ado, I present the sights and sounds of my 2013-14 winter retrospective:
 




























What the winter will ultimately be remembered for in Nashville.


Creative Commons License


Comments

Popular Posts